May 25, 2010

Didi...

Dear Bjiya,

Dont think you liked me when you saw me for the first time. I had landed uninvited at your house with my big feet, my dirty bag and lots of freaky ideas about what kind of woman I and Safura would become one day.
I dont really remember the day I fell in love with you. You are so pretty I dont think anybody ever cathches the moment their heart slips over to your smile..
I never have had women like porcelein dolls in my family. You were the first one I met. The day you delivered Aafia I coudnt beleive there would be a girl prettier and more delicate than you in the family. But that wasnt the day we became friends. I dont think I can ever have you as a friend. You are always a bit too glowing to be a friend!
Dont know when exactly it filtered in that you were infact the elder one. Perhaps the days when I would come sloshed to your house and you never asked me any questions. The times I saw you pray and pray and pray with little Aafia circling around you. The times you would talk for hours and hours to dirty men on the phone to get the man of the family out of trouble. The times you would open the door for me at 4am in the morning and ask me to lie down next to little girls of the family. Had I become one of the youger ones in the family gradually?
I have never seen you cook ever! Your almirah is perhaps the craziest piece of space in the whole world! Remeber the times you would refuse to talk to any guest who came to the house? You would only mutter meows from behind the door.(How old do you think you are? 5 years?!!) The times you would ask Pintoo to bring you clothes to your office because your Saree was falling off! We all laughed over how you were so juvenile! And yet I never forget the days when you would correct our pronunciation of Petrol( petrel its supposed to petrel now I know) How you would give us simple downloads on how girls shouldnt ever let their space be taken in the garb of hardwork at work( we werent labourers we were filmmakers! what was the excuse for dirty toenails and bad skin?!)
Now that Safura is far away I realise it wasnt just her in that house that brought me in. It was you too elder sister with your crazy baby wisdom. I hope someday we become women like you. Crazy old and baby faced!
Love
Moti

2 comments:

Madhuri said...

its a beautiful portrait, hands down, both guns smoking

Diwakar Sinha said...

i have just one word for it : beautiful!