Feb 16, 2010

You resembled my Mommy so much!


In that grey cotton shirt with cream flowers on it.

That cut of mars on your forehead.

In all the curd that you had with me for dinner.

All those stories of white butter that you stole..

The tardy slippers you wore to work.

That missing tooth hidden behind your half smile.

That sinus sitting over your head

That callousness of leaving me alone in a market.

The smell of soap coming from your skin and some left behind your ears!

That toenail that always grew inwards that you shredded when you were tired.

That creaking sound of your knuckles when you sat on the floor

The drones of tired fitful sleep of stress.

That sobbing that absolutely broke my heart.

Those big hands always bigger than mine.

That fast walk with long steps I could never keep pace with.

You had no buisness resembling my mother!

7 comments:

Madhuri said...

Damned if I could make this list, its brilliant!

Pearl said...

Maddy I try hard forgetting too. but how does one forget someone who reminded me of Mommy? I wish I had no memory to write all this!:( wonder what brilliance d you see in this one!:/

Abbas Jalis Rizvi said...

I wish I had observed my mother that much.
:)
If I had written that I would have thought myself to be in line with Keats and Shelley.
It is surely a poetry.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pearl said...

@ Abbas:- Dont know what are you talking about!
I am sure you know your mother better than knowing from observing. Human beings pick up things in strange ways...
I really wonder what would Keats and Shelly do if they were born in this age! I am sure we being us(abbas and pearl) are much more equipped to make sense of this world around us today.
I am very happy that you consider this poetry! Its like a worn out sack of words that I carry..
I think I would have been happier if I didn't have to bring this out.
I think people who don't write poetry are happier people.
At least they appear smarter and more in command of life than of words! :/
PS- Like i wonder if you will ever need to write about Mussorie...I am sure living it was so complete that there is nothing else to be done with it!

The Holy Lama said...

And who was she? Nice words to show moments of life.

Pearl said...

@holy lama:- wasn't a she...was a man. :)