Feb 12, 2010

Catching eels



If you have ever had the urge to catch eels you would know how humbling it is.. 
I start with a confidence everytime .Trusting my long eager arms and my predator'ly eyes looking into the clear water. I love eels when I am out catching them. Its only in retrospect that a lot of hard feeling come.

I dont know if it was greed or hunger with which I pushed myself into this sport. The first time I started I could hear the distant boring well gushing into the fields nearby. There were some cowheards taking scary bulls and cows across the great horizon. And yet I sat near the river making this as my only pursuit. Like there is nothing else in the world!

Dont know where this catching eels becomes so compulsive. I see all men and women stressing to catch them. I dont know too many who come out happy. But on our own quests we must...reach towards eels with our cold hands. What else is there to life?

So I tell you how I saw a whole shoal. I looked at them lustily I think.. For you cant be expected to  reverence and love for the fish you are trying to catch in your net of life. You are with your own little plans and dreams and expectations and sensations. What do you care to know about the eel you conspire to catch?
All this thing that you build up in your mind about love for eels and how diffrent they are is all bullshit. I'll tell you how all my eels have been all the same all these years( the same slimy living beings that leave a taste of failure on your tongue!)

But its a good sport for the living( young and old) eels are electric and eels are in a lot of ways like life. They always run out of your fist without turning back or saying Goodbye!

But the joy of living is those moments of terse concentration. Looking measuring and going for the catch. Many times you will be rewarded with the sensation of a living being in touch with your the front of your palm(where your life line runs)u will know the restlessness and elusiveness of these spiteful beings(the ones you wouldnt have never rewarded with your attension unless it was to have them whole for yourself) Then there is that awfully beautiful moment when you have it in your hand between your index finger and thumb. Its tails and its head. I call that moment eternity. Dont know how others refer to this interim. Its the time when you can say truthfully you have made the catch. Frankly a lot of times even after the catch your life looks the same. It isnt! If you consider how many times you are going to come back to this time. When you had the catch. All the stars were in one line. All the luck was with you. Your hands and your eyes worked under command and one poor eel dropped its defence under your agrression. You won!

Shock tears and fits! Suddenly the eel is gone. Slipped out of your hand. I feel miserable. Long for that time. Cant rewind. Will never accept. But the eel is gone.Nemesis. Love. Longing....Oh cmon! Thats life
Another eel now. I love cathing eels..What about you?

2 comments: