Jan 12, 2010

We were little girls then...


Dear Sagun,

I always remember you when I think of Nashik. And that one favorite song of yours that made me fall in love with you.
We were in that sad hostel for working women. Together in a corner room that you were apprehensive about sharing with me. Offcourse you had to be smart if you wanted to live with sanity in that city with cunning women and their nosy boyfriends. I off course didn’t have any, but that wasnt enough to grow a tree of trust.. There was such a huge gap between our folding beds depite the small talk floating together from the mugs of our sickly tea.

Your parents far away in Nepal. Who had given up on you were distant. You told me about your caring Maharastrian boyfriend and I could see the little nests hanging out of your hair.You had figured out the tough equation of love while I was still struggling at the bitter taste of love on my tongue.

And then one day they played that song on the radio. ‘Zindagi aa raha hun main’
You chukled and jumped from your bed to mine. Suddenly we weren’t women with secrets between us anymore. We were handsome men with the promise of the road ahead!

‘This is my favourite song double haddi, this is how you must live life’ you had declared! And I must have looked puzzled for sure. After all what did the 5foot of you know about me ? To tell me about how to live my life!  And then in that daze of the exasperating energy burst in you I heard and saw you for the first time!

Humming along with that song of Hardy dreams. You weren’t the weary girl from Nepal anymore! You were the tall lanky man who had to make a home in this city that your parents would never visit (so what?!) The people here (in Nashik) didn’t belong to you but you would win them over one day! The suspicion that small everyday wars had brought in you wafted away in the dim light of the 40 watt blinking bulb. You became a happy go lucky soldier who would win over the boyfriend’s discomfort of commitment, his parent’s resistance and the cold indifference of your family.

It still amazes me how in this 5 foots of you, you have packed in so much hardy hope, ferociousness and cold insight about the world. All of 5foot 9 inches of me fell in love with you in that magical moment. I remember your strength every time I hear that song now. Off course you were a  little girl then, but you were a winsome gallant man too!

Love
Your Double haddi

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi double haddi.. I m sooo sooo soooooo greatful that you wote something for me.. It's really beautiful.. You have made my day.. I just want to say,
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou soooooooooooo much.. Luv you always..

Your single Haddi..

Faisal Ahmed said...

u r gonna hate me for this....but whenever i talk to you...i find a clumsy pearl...a little confused...absent mind..lost in her own world...but wen i read u...its almost like a different person...m readin...a person with a vision...and some thoughts..interpretations of those thughts...think u shld get into serious...wuld be one of the first to buy ur work (sthg assures me u wont gift it to me)....neways....it was nice...like an iranian film...simple yet very convincing...n den somewhere...makin a connection..as aamir was praised...Bravo!! Bravo!!..liked it for the simplicity...dere was no heavy duty polar bear stuff...